Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#67103 - 06/24/02 01:24 PM Re: "Bait Soakers and Chuckers"
Micro Brew Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Normandy Park
This has always been a hot topic!

FF- I do agree with you, that's why we have run into each other where we have! I would prefer to see many more quality waters available for the just OPPORTUNITY to catch larger fish. We have way to few quality spots over here on the west side. It does take education and a change of attitude, I think the attitude is the toughest. Even on catch and kill lakes, I take certain satisfaction in releasing a nice fish knowing that it may grow larger and be available to another angler - hopefully to be re-released, but likely not.

I was out at a Rattlesnake over the weekend, didn't have time to travel much further. The fish caught were small, 8-9, up to 13. There were a lot of them. While you can catch many fish, I would prefer a few hogs. They just don't get a chance to grow to any decent size. As I have mentioned before, I would like to see closures on specific lakes for a couple of years and let the fish reach a nice size, especially the triploids you hear so much about. With put & take, they don't get any chance of reaching their potential.
PT - I now understand you comment on Rattlesnake. I don't think it was meant as a slam to bait fishers, it is just a nice spot with lots of room, fish to be caught, trails to hike, paths to walk.
Catch and release is the way to go to improve the quality of the catch. I do it because I choose to, it's that simple. Although I do keep a few perch for the pan - caught on bait, of course....

"...had I a river I would gladly let all honest anglers that use the fly cast line into it, but, where there is no protection, then nets, poisons, dynamite, slaughter of fingerlings, and unholy baits would devastate the fish, so that "free fishing" spells no fishing at all."

Andrew Lang
Introduction to Waltons The Compleat angler (1906)

#67104 - 06/24/02 01:43 PM Re: "Bait Soakers and Chuckers"
On The Hook Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Post Falls, Idaho
Thanks to all that posted replys.

As for the subject I know it will never go away but the one thing I ask is lets all trade ideas and learn from one another.

Zen thanks for the headsup about the rabble rousing as I am new to this board I do not know everyone yet and their ideals.

I do respect everyones opinion and I learn from what others have said. Isnt that how fishing is passed on through knowledge of others.

But again thanks for the posts.

Remember Salmon season opens up here next week laugh and yes I only use lures for salmon.

#67105 - 06/24/02 01:55 PM Re: "Bait Soakers and Chuckers"
Zen Leecher aka Bill W Offline
Spawner

Loc: Moses Lake
PT,

The Trout Master likes to tweak me, and others.. and that's all he was trying to do.

He does that because he can't tie pretty flies and has fly envy. If his were prettier, then he wouldn't feel that way.

#67106 - 06/24/02 05:15 PM Re: "Bait Soakers and Chuckers"
Trout Master Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Edmonds
Boy, did I rattle someones cage or what? I will mention that the last time we had a get together at lil cavanaugh last year, the only ones that did show up were the fly people, with the exception of Mike C. Anyway I was at rattlesnake yesterday with the Micro brewster. Lots of small fish every where. It would be nice to see bigger ones there. And yes I did see worm containers on the far shore. Sorry to rattle you guys so much.
It keeps some of you busy though. :p

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Dick laxton, Lil Blue Sled, Lil Red Sled, Solash, The Moderator, WeServe
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (steely slammer, 20 Gage), 1325 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645377 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |